Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Something is wrong with this picture

Every year I grumble and pay my taxes. For the past few years the taxes our family owed have exceeded our tax withholding but we, however unenthusiastically, make our contribution for retaining the form government we think is worthy of our trust and taxes. All this time I’ve known that a large segment of the population pays little or no tax but I can accept that there are people who just don’t have a large income and I agree that they shouldn’t be taxed heavily.

But this year I think I reached my breaking point when the IRS announced that 51% of American households did not pay any tax at all. To make matters worse they also said that 30% of the non tax paying household qualified for an “earned income tax credit”. In other words 15.3% of American households will get money for not paying any taxes, and I’m expected to work harder and become a “more wealthy American” in order to pay more taxes and help support those who cannot motivate themselves to earn a reasonable living.

I think it’s about time we took a serious look at some of the flat tax proposals that have been talked about. At least that we would know that each contributed equally to the national burden.

No comments:

Post a Comment