Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Oh the Horror!

Those of you who know me are aware that I occasionally enjoy a wee dram of single malt. After a difficult mediation, be it a couple fighting over the dog, someone complaining about a noisy neighbor or two businesses disputing a contract, I frequently relax over a glass of Scotch after enjoying one of Le Contours gourmet meals. It’s a fine way to end a day…a memorable meal, a peaty malt libation, a good book and My Lady in my life.

But the pleasant routine of days end has been threatened by the closure of one of Scotland’s distilleries by the threat of Legionnaires disease. The bacterium that causes this severe form of pneumonia was found in the cooling tower at the North British Distillery in Edinburgh and the plant has been shut down. To a dedicated drinker of Scotland’s finest export the news of the plant closure and the implication that other distilleries might be contaminated is akin to being told the end of the world is approaching.

The disease is usually transmitted by inhaling the bacteria and the practice of dedicated drinkers of Scotch to inhale the fragrance of the product before enjoying its taste makes enjoying what should be a pleasant end of day ritual a potentially dangerous practice.

Fortunately for me the output of this particular distillery is sold to other companies and is used for blending purposes. So if you enjoy such blends The Famous Grouse, J&B Rare, Johnnie Walker,  Black Label and Cutty Sark you might want to enjoy your drink without inhaling its bouquet for at least the near future, say 12 to 20 years!

As for me, I’m still enjoying my single malts, made by small distillers in a tightly controlled environment and worth every penny of the cost, but I might just sniff my glass gently rather than inhaling.


No comments:

Post a Comment