Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Christmas as a continuing philosophy

Being on deployment with FEMA brings with it long work days, no days off, motel rooms and on the fly dining. My secret for keeping my sanity while dealing with the stresses of being away from home for extended periods and not eating a good diet is to organize my life as much as possible and to keep to a schedule, bearing in mind that I’ll take advantage of any free time that presents.

Christmas day was one of our non-working days so I had free time, I decided to start the day by catching up with laundry chores and briefcase consolidation…just the thing to do on a holiday. So at 5 AM I took a load of laundry and went down to the hotel facility before there was a rush on the limited number of washers and driers. As I passed through the lobby I saw a young couple sleeping on one of the couches (and the floor). Apparently the innkeeper had allowed them to crash for the night and they both looked like they needed the comfort of a warm and protected place to lay their heads. In addition when they arose a short while later I saw that the young lady was pregnant and obviously due within a matter of days.

I’m not sure if the innkeeper was aware of the symbolism of giving cover to a weary family on a day we celebrate when another innkeeper two thousand years ago allowed a travel worn couple to occupy his available space. But she followed a long religious tradition and gave shelter to a couple in need.

Here was proof that kindness is eternal and an affirmation that the story of Christmas is one that can always be repeated.

No comments:

Post a Comment