Saturday, January 1, 2011

Faith and Trust

My Lady, who is known to those who read her blog as Le Conteau writes about the animals in her life and how they influence our lives. With no questions asked, she will reach out to others and do her best to make them part of our lives. Over the years we have shared our lives with many animals and I have learned the lesson that pets can bring excitement, happiness, sorrow and most of all contentment. She is working at a job in the Northwest and for the nonce I’m living a bachelor’s life, albeit with four small ladies who have taken on the chore of keeping me honest, alert and always ready to open a can of pet food for them.

The Cop and The Mouth are cats who constantly remind me that they have sharp claws and that sooner or later I have to fall asleep. Their wants are simple…prompt response when they want to go outside, or come in and instant access to cat food on demand. In turn they occasionally inform me that I can scratch their ears and during these cold winter nights serve as a heat source to keep them comfortable.

In contrast Denim Doll and Missy are descendants of a long line of Spanish court dogs who firmly believe that I couldn’t operate if they aren’t around to supervise my every action. No matter what I am doing I know that if I look around I will find at least one of the dogs observing and evaluating and making sure that I’m performing to their impeccable standards. After all they were raised to royal court standards and they certainly don’t want their human acting anything other than courtly.

While it might sound like I’m complaining about all this supervision I’m really somewhat enchanted when I realize that the four footed ladies in my life are there because they want to be included in our lives. You can always discuss symbiotic relationships and food dependency between humans and their pets but all that is secondary to what I believe is the primal drive in our relationship. They like me, as I like them because we both grow from the relationship. They have the grace to accept me as I am and to offer me companionship and love without question and with no restriction and in trying to live to their standards I’m a better person for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment