Thursday, July 26, 2012

It's a nice dream

I was in Pennsylvania last year when the sex scandal at the University became public knowledge and I had a chance to read the indictment laying out the State’s case. I was appalled by the actions of the assistant football coach (who’s name I don’t want to mention) but more disturbed by the inaction of the University when the case was brought to their attention several years previously. As bad as the criminal acts were the fact that the school chose to ignore the event, hoping that it would “just go away” is what made me truly angry. In addition, the actions and comments of the school’s supporters were disturbing when they defended the accused and the school, usually with a claim that no lasting harm had been done. For that I call BS because there are more than a few damaged children now having to live with the results of the actions that were perpetrated on them.

Today I’m equally offended by the NCAA sanctions that many claim to be “too harsh”. In my opinion the school should be outlawed and forbidden to engage in any inter-collegiate sport equal to the period of time the pedophile was allowed to operate within its walls without being halted by informed and knowledgeable school officials who chose instead to sweep the scandal under the rug. From trial testimony that appear to be a time span of 14 years.  The school officials who decided to allow a culture of pedophilia to flourish should be removed and, at best lose their livelihood and their pensions.

Who knows…maybe if that were done the school’s costs would go down, tuition could be lowered and the students could concentrate on the academics that brought them to the school in the first place. I know it won’t happen, but it’s a nice dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment