Thursday, July 5, 2012

Small Town 4th

There are 105 counties in Kansas with a 2011 population of 3,993.000 and the county I live in has 552,991 of those people. It is an "urban county" by any definition but if you look hard enough in this up scale, slightly yuppified county you can still find pockets of rural life that struggle on and, without shame, live by the ethics and culture that are the foundation of this singular republic.
As many socially responsible citizens do I volunteer with our Sheriff's department since I'm getting just a little too old for the fire and rescue game. As a volunteer I'm given the opportunity to support the police in doing their job, and yesterday I spent part of the day directing traffic for a 4th of July parade in an unincorporated area of the county that is working hard to keep its rural character.


Instead of fancy floats and marching bands I was privileged to watch 4H clubs marching several miles in the plus 100 degree heat, farm tractors pulling trailer loads of white haired service clubs and very vocal high school football teams. There were service trucks from local business advertising their availability and (of course) the obligate local politicians eager to get your vote. Kids riding on hay bales and adults riding quarter horses made for a fun time for everyone. Sspectators and participants were all having a grand time and it was a taste of small town Americana that I don't often get a chance to see any more and I feel the better for watching people come together to enjoy themselves, wave the flag and socialize with friends and neighbors.
My faith in the future of our society was made stronger by the opportunity to go back in time to a period that wasn't ashamed to admit its love of country.

No comments:

Post a Comment