Saturday, January 12, 2013

Lessons Learned

I've been on deployment with FEMA to the New York area helping people impacted by Super Storm Sandy. The last time I spent more than a day or two in New York was when I was growing up here...and I left the city behind me back in the 50's when I graduated from high school.

Old New York is not the same as when I was growing up and to my jaded eyes all the changes that have occurred are not all for the good. What was once a crowded and congested city is now a grossly crowded and congested assembly of people who seem to have lost all social skills. Manhattan used to be a walkers paradise and people on the street had a an almost ballerina skill in walking crowded streets without colliding. Today when I try to walk the streets it's almost impossible to avoid being run down by pedestrians who bull down the street, focused on their latest electronic toy and seeing neither people, cars or walk lights in their hurry to get elsewhere. The shear number of people concentrated in a small area has destroyed the concept of  "personal space" and the traditional in your face attitude is reflected by personal space becoming a contact sport.

Once out of the city and in my car I get a daily lesson in attitude from my fellow drivers. Speed limits and traffic control devices are there for tourists and I'm sure the horn industry sells lots of replacement horns every day. There are signs on all the highways that tell drivers it's a state law that turn signals must be used when changing lanes. HAH! they only use of turn signal I see is when traffic is jammed up (a common occurrence) and the guy next to you wants to get in the space your car is occupying...and he will do that come what may. About 20 percent of the drivers I see insist on driving with their high beams on and there is nothing that can persuade them to do otherwise. I guess they feel that if they don't blind you, you won't see them trying to occupy your space.

I made a decision many years ago that "elsewhere" was better than New York City and I'm glad I did. I got a wonderful lady, great family and an interesting career after I moved away. I've never looked back, but I also have to say that the xenophobic people who inhabit the region are also up front, outspoken and assertively some of the nicest people you can meet. Once they say hello to your good morning welcome they prove to be social and (almost) polite.

In my dealings with those who were impacted by the storm I've seen a resiliency and a willingness to work towards regaining their fractured lives that I find impressive. I'm still glad I live where I do, but I am impressed by the applicants I work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment