Friday, April 22, 2011

Faith of our fathers

I was looking for a subject to write about when I ran across an article about several thousand small stone monuments, or stele, that are located high above the shoreline of coastal Japan. All are different but it seems that all of them have a common theme, “Don’t build your house below this point”. These small stones represent the high water mark of previous tsunami that have devastated the area. Unfortunately, as human nature goes many people failed to heed the warning and built below the marker anyway. And as recently proven, with disastrous results.

In my mind’s eye I can see someone who is grieving and has lost a family to a tsunami taking time to think about those who follow us and giving them a warning of the strength of nature. I can also see those future generations thinking it will never happen here but overall I can see the faith of the stele builder that had hope for future generations and wanted to pass a little bit of wisdom.

The timing is appropriate for this is a time of the year where Christians pause to remember a momentous moment in their history and pass on the promise that out of despair came hope and expectation for a bright future. Like the Japanese who made the stele I also have hope for the future and confidence in those who will be here long after I’ve departed.

Have a most peaceful and happy Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment