Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Spiders

My Lady doesn’t like spiders in any form or fashion, especially if they are indoors. Over the years I’ve learned that if I hear the sound of sharply indrawn breath it is time for me to don my white knight armor and go spider hunting. She has good reason to fear the eight legged buggers and I do my best to keep her safe, comfortable and spider free. But there are times when spiders actually can be a good thing. Take the situation in Pakistan.

The record flooding in that country in 2010 disrupted the lives of some 20 million people and there are still areas of the country that have yet to dry out. With more than a fifth of the country flooded it seems that spiders climbed into the trees to escape the water and survive. Because the water took so long to recede the trees became literally covered with spider webs as the little bugger competed for food.

But with all that web building it appears that it is also a blessing in disguise. In the area of flooding the number of malaria spreading mosquitoes has plummeted and fewer than expected cases of malaria have been reported. I’m also sure My Lady appreciates that the hungry arachnid are on the opposite side of the globe.

No comments:

Post a Comment