Saturday, April 16, 2011

Taxes

Like most of the country I am mesmerized by the “budget battle(s)” that are keeping Congress busy these days. That politicians can proclaim that cutting spending by .038 of a percent is a good thing strikes me as ludicrous, disingenuous and morally deficient. As an individual and as part of a family I know that if I spend more money than I earn I’m pretty soon going to be in trouble if not in jail.

The President in a recent speech laid out his agenda, one that includes raising taxes and not really cutting programs. Since our current debt is in the trillions of dollars I suspect that under his program the tax rate would soon be 100%. But what really frightens me is one of the ways he proposes to raise taxes.

His proposal is that if by 2014 (three years from now) the ratio of debt to the Gross National Product exceeds an unspecified amount than taxes would be raised automatically. Not only does this evade the central issue that the country is spending more than it’s earning it appears to me to be in violation of the Constitution that specifies only Congress can raise taxes.

I can only conclude that the people we have elected to run our country are either deluded or deliberately spending us into bankruptcy. They don’t want to face the reality of simple economics and ignore the social and economic controls in our Constitution. In truth I fear for the future of my children and their children, they will be justified in cursing my generation and the evil we have left them.

No comments:

Post a Comment