Sunday, December 19, 2010

Christmas Wish List

Admit it, most of us have a secret Christmas Wish List…a collection of undeclared dream items that we reveal only to our inner self. Unless of course you are writing a blog and need inspiration to fulfill the commitment you made to yourself to write a lively and interesting web diary.

My secret Christmas Wish List starts off with a desire for a personal time machine. That will take me back to the 1940’s when life was simpler, cheaper and a crisis was a flat tire on my bicycle. When people sat outside on a summer evening and quietly talked about the events of the day and hailed their neighbor walking down the street. Ice cream cones melting in your hand and Cracker Jacks at 5 cents a box.

I look back with fondness on those halcyon days but I suspect that my parents would describe that period in their lives in harsher terms. There was still the mortgage to pay, balancing wages and expenses was no less a struggle than it is today and manifest destiny had the country in the middle of armed conflict.

As I write down and strike items off my Christmas List I finally realize that what I really want are good memories of than and now and hope for future generations to have opportunity to have the same kind of wish list I’m building for my secret self.

No comments:

Post a Comment